HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Lamivudine (not) resistant after 6 months

I have been on 300mg/day of lamivudine for 6 months for treatment of Hepatitis B. It is the only medication I have ever been on for HBV or HIV. When I began the medication my HIV viral load was at very low at 190, 6 months later I am undetectable. I'm taking the lamivudine solely for the hepatitis, but I'm surprised that my HIV hasn't become resistant to it yet since your reply to another question was that lamivudine monotherapy usually leads to resistance in a few weeks to a few days. Can you tell me more about resistance to this drug?

Response from Dr. Little

If your HIV viral load was really 190 before you started taking lamivudine, then the normal fluctiation of your viral load (off of any antiretroviral medications) would almost certainly result in many of your viral loads being undetectable. The thing that drives the development of drug resistance is viral replication - which you have very little of. Your immune system seems to be doing a first rate job of controlling your viral replication without standard antiretroviral medications. If your HIV viral load ever did increase to any sustained level greater than 1000, I would expect you to rapidly develop drug resistance to lamivudine (if you do not already have this). The good news is, it doesn't sound like you really need antiretrovirals at the present time.

Scared of Becoming Resistant
Resistences to azt & ddc