HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Substitute Meds

I was infected six months ago and am on Combivir and Sustiva. I went away for the night and forgot my meds. The person I was with is on Combivir and Viracept. I took a dosage of his meds rather than skipping. Was this wise?

Response from Dr. Little

Well, the combivir will have the same effect whether it came from your pill bottle or someone elses. The viracept however, will not likely have gotten to a high enough level after one dose to have achieved what we consider a therapeutic level of drug in your blood system. So, the good news is that sustiva has a long half life, meaning that it stays in the blood stream for a long time after you stop your drugs - so missing one nights dose is not likely to cause a problem. In the future though, I would stick to the drugs that you are currently taking. A single missed dose of any drug is not the big problem - the problem comes when people miss repeated doses of the same or multiple medications in their regimen. I suspect you will do just fine after this one missed Sustiva dose.

Genotyping Resistance
Scared of Becoming Resistant