HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Resistence test

After beeing a year on videx & hydrea, and a month and a half without treatment because of liver problems, I have taken a resistence test as I have been on quite a few meds by now. My doctor tells me that the test will give us an idea, but I am not so sure that they will show up. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Little

It is very difficult for me to predict what if anything this test will show given that I do not know what meds you have received in the past (except for ddI) and for how long. In general, the yield of resistance testing can be expected to fall over time off of antiretrovirals, but may still yield some useful information if you have not been off drugs (other than the ddI) for more than 3-4 months. In general, resistance to ddI is infrequently identified and so if your test turns up showing resistance to no antiretroviral meds, I would base subsequent treatment choices on your past history - what you took for how long and whether treatment discontinuations were on the basis of drug failure or drug intolerance. The resistance tests are very useful when they identify drug resistant mutations, but they are not a substitute for a careful and complete medical history.

switching from Crixivan to Kaletra
Drug holiday