Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kaletra without food
Sep 30, 2001

My wife has been on Haart for 6 months Epivir, Zerit and Kaletra and VL has dropped from 361000 to approx 1000 . She has a small meal at approx 9am then has Meds at 11am again she has a light meal at about 7pm and meds at 11pm. Is this ok?

Response from Dr. Pavia

In general, it is better to have some food with Kaletra. Ritonavir (part of the Kaletra combinatin), has 13% higher blood levels if taken with food than on an empty stomach, and more important, is better tolerated. For Kaletra, it is as a combined product, the effect is larger and more likely to be important. The total amount of Kaletra absorbed (the AUC), is increased by 43% if it is taken with food.

So, your wife really should take Kaletra with food. That is probably more important than taking them exactly 12 hours apart. I might think about taking all of the meds at 9am an again with dinner. The advantage here is linking meds with meals, to get in a routine.

Another alternative is to have a snack with some fat content with each dose. If calories are not a problem, a sport bar, candy bar, sandwich or even a bowl of ice cream would do the trick. If I were on Kaletra and found it easier to take meds at 11 am and 11 pm, I might eat a bar at 11 am and a chocolate chip cookie or three at 11 pm.

ATP

Previous
Viral Load results
Next
switching from Crixivan to Kaletra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.