HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Viral Load results

As I understand it, some viral load tests can detect the level of virus much lower than others. My grandson is considered undetectable, lower than 300. This would mean that he could be at 299 or lower. What determines which kind of test of doctor orders? Would it not be better to know exactly what the viral load is? My grandson is two and a half years old, and was just diagnosed with HIV on April 16th. He began meds on April 30th., first viral load was 350,000. After being on meds for 24 days, his VL was 300. He is so far, undetectable, per the test type his doctor is using. Thank you.

The choice of viral load test is sometimes the choice of the physician, but many times the choice of who is paying for the test. In other words, if insurance companies, the state, or the feds are paying the bill, they will negotiate contracts for lab services at labs of their choosing and not necessarily that of the doctor. MH

IL2
Kaletra without food