HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

end of the line

I've been on almost all antivirals, am totally multi-drug resistant, and have been off meds for 6 months now, since they weren't working. Viral load was over 500,000, CD4 was less than 20. I've had a CMV retinitis diagnosis and most recently, very agressive thrush. I need something. My doc is at a loss. Any suggestions? Where do I go from here? Wait to die?

Response from Dr. Little

You are clearly in a difficult situation - there is however fairly good data to suggest that even in people with drug resistance, continued therapy with the "best available" drugs is associated with slower disease progression. In general though, your best option may be in the combination of previously used drugs with some of the new expanded access or investigational drugs. I would talk to your doctor about what clinical trials are available in your area and where you might get access to some of the new expanded access drugs (T20, tenofivir, etc). These are typically most readily available at university centers and other organized clinical trial centers. Good luck.

Is it too late?
Newly diagnosed, doing well on meds