Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

dectable & low tcell- doc says no to meds
Sep 6, 2001

I just tested HIV+ 2 weeks ago. VL is 9105 & T-Cell count is 613, but my Dr does not think that I should start meds now. The postings on this site seem to indicate that meds should be started if there is any detectable VL.

Doc says stress over waiting for test results & depression after could be reason for high counts. I'm getting VL & T counts done again in Oct & Doc just did a Genotype..(results not back yet)

Should I start on meds now?

Response from Dr. Little

There is not a complete consensus on when to start therapy - even among experts in the field. Many people believe that if the T cell count is higher than 350, and the viral load not extremely high, then therapy can be safely delayed. The alternative approach, is to treat more aggressively in an effort to maintain a near-normal immune system and complete viral suppression. I personally do not have one answer, but discuss both of these options with every patient. There are risks and benefits to therapy and what is an acceptable risk and a reasonable benefit is different for different people. In general, I recommend starting therapy for people in your position more often than not, but I would stronly recommend that you have a discussion with your doctor about all of the relevant risks AND benefits which are afforded by potent therapy. Also, your drug resistance tests may help guide your treatment choices if you decide to start.

Previous
Double Therapy & Resistance
Next
Is it too late?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.