HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

follow-up amprenavir dosage

I asked a question regarding my high dosage of amp/norvir-1250 bid amp. 200norvir bid. I am resistant to both drugs my t-cells and viral load however has remained reasonabily controlled, so i am getting benefit. I just read that rescriptor has same boosting effect as norvir and does not have the neg. effects on tricy. and cholesteral. I have never taken this med-should I suggest it as an alternative to norvir to prevent further lipodatrophy. Also I have heard that fortovase can resensitize amprenavir susceptibility any thoughts on that?

Response from Dr. Little

Although you have shown resistance to both amprenavir and ritonavir, you are clearly having a continued beneficial effect if your viral load and T cells are remaining relatively stable over time on this regimen. I will not claim to be an expert on delavirdine (rescriptor)-boosted protease regimens. I know that this is in practice by some, but cannot support this change with much enthusiasm since, you appear to have a sufficient "boost" of your amprenavir levels with your current ritonavir-boost and there is vastly more experience with ritonavir boosted regimens. If you are still interested in finding more information about rescriptor-boosted amprenavir regimens, I would direct you to submit this question to the treatment strategies expert forum of THE BODY. I am not completely sure that I understand your other question - I think you are asking if saquinavir taken with amprenavir by someone with amprenavir resistance will result in improved antiviral activity. The answer - not that I am aware of. Again - feel free to direct this question to the experts in the treatment strategies forum if I have misinterpreted your question or not provided an adequate answer.

Sustiva resistance
resistance test