Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sustiva resistance
Sep 6, 2001

My doctor made me change from Saquinavir/3TC/d4T to Sustiva/ddI/ddC on August 9th. I have never taken a NNRTI before, and genotype analysis shows resistant to ddI and ddC. My VL=7,000 and CD4=320. How long before I become resistant to Sustiva? Can I go back to my previous combo and spare Sustiva? The only two new drugs (besides NNRTIs) that I've never taken and could take are Amprenavir and Abacavir. Any idea? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Little

It is always a bit difficult to evaluate your doctors treatment plans without all of the necessary data - but it appears from the information that you have given me, that you may be on sustiva only at this time (if you are indeed resistant to ddI and ddC, then their contribution to your current regimen may be minimal). The bad news is that resistance to sustive can develop very rapidly (as quickly as 2-4 weeks in some people). The chances of your developing sustiva drug resistance is probably most closely related to the duration of time you are taking this drug and not having complete viral suppression (ie. viral load less than 50). It would be a significant shame to lose sustiva from the list of active drugs which you could take to control your virus. The best way to prevent this, is to take a regimen which WILL COMPLETELY INHIBIT your virus - that is taking drugs to which your test results do not show that you have pre-exisitng drug resistance mutations. There are certain circumstances, when providers may choose to use drugs which they suspect may have only intermediate activity (ie perhaps "saving" a more potent drug class for later in someone's course if current T cells are high), but in general, it is best to try and use sustiva only with drugs that you think are VERY LIKELY to be associated with complete viral suppression. I would urge you to talk to your doctor about the reasons for choosing this regimen and perhaps what other options might be considered. This may still be a reasonable choice, but I always think it is a good idea if you understand the risks and benefits of each regimen chosen. Good luck.

Previous
bid viracept
Next
follow-up amprenavir dosage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.