HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

211K?

I recently had a genotype test done while having a viral load around 100,000. We expected that wild type virus had taken over and that the test would probably bear no useful results. However, a mutation was detected at 211K. I can't find this listed anywhere. Can you please explain it? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Little

The R211K mutation is a polymorphism - this means that it can be seen in patients who have never been on antiretroviral therapy, but can also be selected for in patients who have been on AZT in the past. It may very well represent persistance of a single (probably less important) resistance mutation to AZT which you took some time in the past. This does not really carry a great deal of significance, except to raise the concern that other AZT mutations may be present in low enough numbers that they are not being detected by your current test. But this test result alone would probably be less relevant that your complete prior treatment history in determining what to do next. If you have never taken antiretroviral therapy, then I don't believe this mutation should mean much at all for you.

Resistant to everything
Nothing working for me