HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Only two left!

Dear Dr. Little, My friend is now resistant to everything except Agenerase and Kaletra (and then somewhat to those) He has been hospitalized 5 times in the last year. What alternative meds and their regimens could you recommend or who will have that info. We want to try to buy some time until new meds come out (in 6 months?) Thank You.

Response from Dr. Little

Unfortunately, there is not a single drug that I think will make a dramatic difference. In this situation, I generally advise sitting down with your care provider and the results of your resistance tests and trying to pick the best 1, 2 or 3 drugs from the resistance test results and then try to pair these with one or two of the newer drugs available through a research study (which may restrict your choice of which "old" drugs to use again) or compassionate use programs. Both T20 and Tenofivir are available in some form in many communities. I would not simply "buy" the new drugs though, this should be a carefully thought out decision that takes into account toxicity issues and what is available in your community. There are several research studies which may be available in your community and might provide access to other drugs in development which might be preferable depending on your resistance profile.

TOXIC
Failed all drug combos