Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How do I read this?
Jun 7, 1999

Dear Dr., I received the results of both my genotypic and phenotypic tests. I am not sure how this information is to be interpreted. The phenotypic tests reflect sensitivity to ALL drugs, but the genotypic tests showed possible resistance with crixivan and invirase. I thought the phenotypic response was the more accurate test? Why the diffference in this response? Thank you for looking at an actual resistance test question.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It depends on what genetic changes were seen on the genotypic test. It takes 3 or more specific changes to result in phenotypic crixivan resistance. If only one or two changes are present, or they are not the primary mutations associated with crixivan resistance, the readout from the genotypic test will reflect "possible resistance", but the phenotypic test not show it. MH

Previous
Resistance testing
Next
How Important is resistance Testing in New Infections

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.