HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

How do I read this?

Dear Dr., I received the results of both my genotypic and phenotypic tests. I am not sure how this information is to be interpreted. The phenotypic tests reflect sensitivity to ALL drugs, but the genotypic tests showed possible resistance with crixivan and invirase. I thought the phenotypic response was the more accurate test? Why the diffference in this response? Thank you for looking at an actual resistance test question.

It depends on what genetic changes were seen on the genotypic test. It takes 3 or more specific changes to result in phenotypic crixivan resistance. If only one or two changes are present, or they are not the primary mutations associated with crixivan resistance, the readout from the genotypic test will reflect "possible resistance", but the phenotypic test not show it. MH

Resistance testing
How Important is resistance Testing in New Infections