Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Developing resistance to drugs not yet taken and reversing resistance
Jun 21, 1999

I have always tested resistant to 3TC and sensitive to AZT now my latest test tells me that Both are reversed, I am resist. to AZT and not 3TC. Also when I get a indeterminate to a certain drug does that mean that I should not even consider that? right now my viral is 4500 and I am on DDI, D4T Vracept and HU. I test that D4t and Viracept are indeterminate. Yet something has to be working because I am low in viral load as compared to my original load of 700,000 J

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You did not say whether your results were obtained with genotypic or phenotypic resistance testing. I am not sure what indeterminate means in your context. If it was a phenotypic (culture) result,was it that they were unable to get a result for a specific drug at all, or that the concentration of drug required was in between sensitive and resistant. It is hard to imagine what an indeterminate result in a genotypic test means, other than they could not interpret the specific codon for a specific drug. I agree with you, something is working. MH

Previous
Translation of Genotype results
Next
Geno-Pheno Testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.