HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Developing resistance to drugs not yet taken and reversing resistance

I have always tested resistant to 3TC and sensitive to AZT now my latest test tells me that Both are reversed, I am resist. to AZT and not 3TC. Also when I get a indeterminate to a certain drug does that mean that I should not even consider that? right now my viral is 4500 and I am on DDI, D4T Vracept and HU. I test that D4t and Viracept are indeterminate. Yet something has to be working because I am low in viral load as compared to my original load of 700,000 J

You did not say whether your results were obtained with genotypic or phenotypic resistance testing. I am not sure what indeterminate means in your context. If it was a phenotypic (culture) result,was it that they were unable to get a result for a specific drug at all, or that the concentration of drug required was in between sensitive and resistant. It is hard to imagine what an indeterminate result in a genotypic test means, other than they could not interpret the specific codon for a specific drug. I agree with you, something is working. MH

Translation of Genotype results
Geno-Pheno Testing