HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Genotype Plus - No Reading!!?

Dear Dr. Holodniy:

I am a healthy asymptomatic HIV+ female with no detectable viral load and a percentage of T-Cells of approx. 35%. I am on a cocktail of Viramune, D4T and 3TC. I am trying to get off of the the D4T because of the lipodystrophy problem. I recently took a Genotype Plus test to determine resistance patterns and the best thing to swap for D4T. I was on AZT when it first came out and then added DDI and was on the combo for a few years until PI's came out and then I added them. The results of the test said that my viral load was less than 25 and thus the test could not be performed because that was the limits of the test. Any suggestions as to how I can determine my resistance patterns? What other tests I can take? And if so, are they covered by insurance? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The current genotype technology does not allow us to get accurate resistance data from viral loads that are < 500/ml. Therefore it was not surprising that they could not get a genotype from you. I would have been concerned if they had reported a genotype from your sample. The good news is that with a viral load of < 50/ml, the likelihood of detectable resistance would be very low.

MH

Running out of Meds a problem ?
thymidine associated mutations