Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Genotype Plus - No Reading!!?
Oct 11, 1999

Dear Dr. Holodniy:

I am a healthy asymptomatic HIV+ female with no detectable viral load and a percentage of T-Cells of approx. 35%. I am on a cocktail of Viramune, D4T and 3TC. I am trying to get off of the the D4T because of the lipodystrophy problem. I recently took a Genotype Plus test to determine resistance patterns and the best thing to swap for D4T. I was on AZT when it first came out and then added DDI and was on the combo for a few years until PI's came out and then I added them. The results of the test said that my viral load was less than 25 and thus the test could not be performed because that was the limits of the test. Any suggestions as to how I can determine my resistance patterns? What other tests I can take? And if so, are they covered by insurance? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The current genotype technology does not allow us to get accurate resistance data from viral loads that are < 500/ml. Therefore it was not surprising that they could not get a genotype from you. I would have been concerned if they had reported a genotype from your sample. The good news is that with a viral load of < 50/ml, the likelihood of detectable resistance would be very low.

MH

Previous
Running out of Meds a problem ?
Next
thymidine associated mutations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.