|Need for resistance testing?
Nov 22, 1999
Hi. Thanks again for your invaluable knowledge and support. Here's my story:
*Tested positive 2/99. Had VL of 51,000 and cd4 of 182.
%cd4 pos. 13.0
*4/99 VL = 637, cd4 = 210 and % = 14.0
*6/99 VL = 110 cd4 = 224, and % = 14.0
*8/99 VL = undetect., cd4 224 and % = 16.
*11/99 VL = 154, cd4 221, and % = ?
I had a 3-day flu with diarrhea shortly before my 11/99 testing. My doctor wants to retest in 1 month. My questions are the following:
1)Should I be looking for an alternate treatment?
2)Is there anything I can do to increase my cd4 counts?
3)Would you recommend resistance testing at this point? If so, specifically what kind.
4)Given these numbers, how long would you guess I have been positive?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. I would wait for the repeat VL. If it is < 50, I would stay the course. If it has increased greatly, time to change.
2. This is a tough one. You should have seen a bump with the potent regimen you are on. Sometimes we have seen delayed (6 months or more to see the increase) responses. IL-2 could be tried, but your CD4 count is a little low to see large responses.
3. Resistance testing requires VL of > 500-1000/ml for detection.
4. I couldn't pin it down, but I would guess at least a few years.
PI failure-next Rx?
stopping drugs due to resistance...?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.