HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

PI failure-next Rx?

A 45 year old man with history of AZt/3TC in the past 3 years ago was put on D4T/3TC and IDV with increase CD4 (<200 to >500) and viral suppression (<400). He d/c meds once during vacation (with spike in load) and then permenantly due to severe LDS. After 4 months his VL became detectable and CD4 began to wane and he was put on D4T/3TC and nelfinavir with suppression and increased VL. Unfortunately he developed disabling neuropathy and D4T was changed to abacavir with viral breakthrough (1,000 to 10,000). resistance test shows pan RT resistance, no NNRTI changes and 46 codon change ("interpreted" as IDV resis and intermediate to others except saq. He is on methadone (and had a severe withdrawal on efavirenz). We are considering delvirdine, rit,saq. He also has hepC, and is unwilling to retry efavirenz or try nevirapine due to methadone. Thoughts and comments on the resistance report and proposed Rx?

I need some more information on the specific mutations in the reverse transcriptase and protease genes before I can comment further. I need to know what was meant by "pan RT" resistance, and what the "intermediate resistance" to the PIs meant. If there was only the 46 mutation alone, I would hate to throw out nelfinavir, unless the critical mutations confering nelfinavir resistance were present. I would hate to throw out the NNRTI class just because of methadone interactions. This can be worked through by increasing or decreasing methodone doses.

MH

G333D multidrug-resistance associated mutation?
Need for resistance testing?