Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance Test
Dec 9, 1999

Dear Dr.,

I am in Brazil and need to take a resistance test. The lab informed my physician that I need to have over 1,000 copies detectable, so this means I need to stop medication and let the virus load grow from 150 copies to 1,000 or more. Is this true? In therory, isn't one copy enough for the test? If I don't need that high load for the test, can you recommend a lab in the USA that performs this test? The one they have here costs about 600 dollars, so if the test in the USA is more sensitive and costs about the same I might as well just have my blood sample sent to the USA. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Most labs in the US can't get reliable resistance tests from samples with <500-1,000 copies/ml. So what the lab is quoting you is correct. There are a few highly specialized labs which are working on techniques to be able to do resistance testing on samples at 50-100 copies. This is not readily available. Given your copy number, it would be unlikely that a result could be generated. I am not sure I would recommend a drug holiday just to get a high enough viral load to do the test.

MH

Previous
Resistance lab locations
Next
G333D multidrug-resistance associated mutation?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.