Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strange Genotype Results
Jan 17, 2000

I have been on HIV drugs for many years, having taken different combinations mostly centered around AZT, 3TC, ddI, Abacavir, Viramune and Crix. My VL recently started to increase, so I had a genotype test. The test showed plenty of Protease resistance, but did not note any NRTI/NNRTI resistance. Do you consider this a bad result, or can this be valid. Based on these results, my doctor changed me to Amprenavir, Sustiva, Abacavir and 3TC. I'm concerned about this and not sure if we're proceeding in the best way. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There are a couple of possibilities. There indeed is no resistance to NRTI/NNRTIs (possible, but unlikely, if previous regimens have failed), or resistance did develop, but you have been off these drugs long enough, the resistant strains have faded to the background and resistance tests are not sensitive enough to pick up these minority species now. We have clearly seen this fading effect, which makes the interpretation of resistance tests difficult, heavy previous drug exposure. The regimen choice is reasonable, given the resistance report. MH

Previous
what therapy after sustiva intolerance ?
Next
Would I be resistent to the drugs that the person who infected me is taking?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.