HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

PCR tests to identify most effective medications

Can a PCR test identify the particular strain of the virus such that the medications which would be most affective could then be determined? In other words can it be known by either PCR DNA or PCR RNA testing whether the virus present will be resistant to certain medications?

I have read many of the questions/answers listed in this Viral Load/Resistance Testing page and I am not sure I understand the concept yet. Thanks for your time.

PCR, or polymerase chain reaction is a method to detect RNA or DNA. It is indeed used as a step for genotypic resistance testing (or genotyping).

Symptoms of Medication Failure?
what therapy after sustiva intolerance ?