HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Drug Resistance

My best friend is becoming resistant to his medication. During the past year, his viral load has been steady at 75,000 and his cell count is 5. Currently he does not have an opportunistic infection. His doctor wants to change his medication to: Agenerase, Zerit, Sustiva and Videx. Could this help drop his viral load? How dangerous is this combination? Can you refer another specialist in the Miami area?

Please advise!

I don't as policy make referrals. Not knowing what previous regimens your friend received makes it difficult for me to comment on the merits of the particular regimen. In general though, the regimen identified is not unreasonable and highly potent.

MH

types of genotypic tests
Genotypic Testing Trial