Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drugs are failing -- what is new on the horizon?
Apr 10, 2000

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

I have been living with AIDS for over eight years, HIV+ for 15/16 years. I have done every medication on the market at least once many twice and three times. I waited almost three years for three new drugs in three different categories. I have had many OI's over the years and serious side effects to meds. The current comb was started about a year ago. The current combo is Sustiva, Abacavir, Agenerase, and Norvir (not new to me). I have never obtained an undetectable VL. I have been doing HIV/AIDS's meds since July 1991. I understand I am a heavily pre-treated patient with medications. I have always treated HIV/AIDS aggressively and used meds as soon as they were approved as well as I have been in 4 clinical trials over the years. The lowest VL I have been down to is 571 (6/23/99) 15%, t-cells at 244. I have been seeing a rise in the vl and a slight drop in the t-cells since then. As of 3/17/00, VL 12,000, t-cells 203. It appears that this combo is starting to fail. The longest any combo has worked is about a year or so. The highest my VL has been is 1.5 million and the lowest my t-cells have been are 33, 5%. In the last year my health has increased dramatically for the better. In fact I am in the best health I have been in for over 6 years.

My questions are as follows: 1) What new meds are in the pipeline that would help a heavily pre-treated patient like myself? 2) What use is a resistance test for me and when do you suggest having one done? 3) Are there any trials for someone like myself that is so heavily pre-treated?

Thank you! Sorry if I sound a bit frantic. But I feel like I am again at the end of my rope. I don't think I could wait again another 3 years for new meds.

Jack

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Congrats! You are a survivor. You are still better off today, even with a detectable viral load, given where your numbers were and where they are now. Several new meds are in the pipeline. ABT-378 and tenofavir are available through compassionate use protocols. A resistance test should be done now when you are receiving a regimen. It would be useful, because it will tell you and your doc what not to use. A useful website for trials is: www.actis.org.

MH

Previous
GAART
Next
How long is a Drug Holiday Safe

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.