HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Follow-up to Sustiva Resistance

Thank you very much for your response to my question concerning becoming resistant to sustiva after only one week. No, I never had a resistance test done before. I don't believe (although I can't be 100% certain) that I got a sustiva-resistant strain from someone else. I think I may have taken it incorrectly only once. By that I mean that I took it with Viracept and Hydoxyurea, which is not a proven cocktail. If sustiva is in fact easy to become resistant to, was that one time sufficient to do the trick, no pun intended? The reason I ask is that I am now on Crixivan, D4T, & DDI, which is really bad for my lipodystrophy. Could I add sustiva, or maybe substitute it for either D4T or DDI?

Again, assuming that the resistance test was accurate, it is possible, but unlikely to develop resistance within a week. A repeat test might be helpful. However, the longer you are off the sustiva, the less likely a 103N mutation will still be there. If the mutation is real, then adding sustiva to your current new regimen will not add anything.

MH

Testing
Resistant to Sustiva After Only One Week?