Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

detectable!
Aug 2, 2001

I have been over 2 years undetectable on Rit/Fort/D4T/DDI/sustiva. Previous use of AZT/3TC/DDC/Saq (diagnosed 1/96 with baseline 65,000 VL and 210 T-cells). My last two VL counts were detectable at 55 and 250, with T-cells over 1,000. I did have a cold within a few weeks of both VL counts. I am so scared that I am going to fail now with no options.I especially am concerned over getting a virus resistant to the sustiva class of drugs.Any suggestions/reasons for hope?

Response from Dr. Little

You should clearly have a resistance test performed. There are two types - a genotype and a phenotype. Both are readily available and can offer guidence regarding whether you have developed drug resistance to one or more of the drugs that you are now taking. These tests are very helpful and may suggest that only one drug in your current regimen should be switched out rather than changing the entire regimen.

The difficulty with resistance tests is that they may not tell you whether you have drug resistance to a drug you took in the past. Occasionally, this information does show up, but the absence of detected drug resistance to a drug or drugs that you took in the past cannot be interpreted as meaning that you do not harbor these resistant variants at some low level (ie too low to be detected by the test).

However, either test (I generally recommend ordering the one that your provider is more comfortable interpreting) will help guide your treatment choices. Simply developing a detectable viral load does not routinely mean that you have developed resistance to all the drugs you are currently taking. Good luck.

Previous
PEP Questions
Next
Combivir Potency and temperature extremes.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.