HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Drugs

Hi Doctor,

My partner was recently diagnosed HIV+ and his VL is 30K with a CD4 of 700. The doctor's do not recommend meds at this point, but probably in the near future if the VL goes above 100K. I have thought a lot recently about whether we should look into resistance testing. Is this common? Should we do it now before the meds? What do you recommend? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Little

Good question - if your partner was recently infected, then I believe the answer is yes. These tests are quite good at detecting transmitted drug resistance - this information may be used at any time in the future that your partner begins therapy.

If your partner was not recently infected, just recently diagnosed, then the answer is a bit more controversial. I think that resistance testing at the time of HIV diagnosis is worth doing because it can help so much with future treatment decisions. There is an increasing amount of data suggesting that resistance mutations are found with some regularity in these patients. This is by no means widely accepted however, and should be interpreted as my personal advice only, not the standard of care in many communities.

Viral Load Detectable
Very worried about resistance?