HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

sustiva/combivir missed dose

Hi. I was reading an earlier post in which you stated that a missed dose of the Sustiva/Combivir regimen (my regimen) is more serious than a missed dose of a PI-based regimen. I've been almost completely adherent, but might have missed a dose along the way. Am I in dire straits? Is one missed dose of sustiva and/or combivir enough to cause resistance? Thanks so much for your continued insights!

Response from Dr. Little

No, please don't be too concerned. What I was trying to convey was that in an individual who misses doses on a more regular fashion (for instance 2-3 doses per week), the risk of developing resistance with this behaviour is higher for someone on an efavirenz-based regimen than a PI-based regimen. A single missed dose is not a tragedy - this happens to everyone now and then!

Worried about Nelfinavir Resistance
Viral Load Detectable