Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drug Resistance
Jul 19, 2001

What is the most common whay a per son can become drug resistant? My doctor tells me that is due to non-adherences. The MEDS I am one, Combivir/Sustiva according to my doc are very good and the only way to be come resistant is not to take them correctly or to miss doses.

Thanks NYC

Response from Dr. Little

Generally, this it is true that one of the greatest causes of drug resistance is missed doses or inappropriate dosing of meds. However, you can also acquire drug resistance (from the person who transmitted HIV infection to you), or you can start a treatment regimen that is not potent enough to COMPLETELY suppress viral load (prevent any viral replication). The regimen of combivir/sustiva is very potent, but also very susceptible to missed doses - that is, missed doses on this regimen are more likely to result in drug resistance than some other regimens.

Previous
When to go on the REgimen?
Next
Infection from someone on HIV meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.