HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Drug Resistance

What is the most common whay a per son can become drug resistant? My doctor tells me that is due to non-adherences. The MEDS I am one, Combivir/Sustiva according to my doc are very good and the only way to be come resistant is not to take them correctly or to miss doses.

Thanks NYC

Response from Dr. Little

Generally, this it is true that one of the greatest causes of drug resistance is missed doses or inappropriate dosing of meds. However, you can also acquire drug resistance (from the person who transmitted HIV infection to you), or you can start a treatment regimen that is not potent enough to COMPLETELY suppress viral load (prevent any viral replication). The regimen of combivir/sustiva is very potent, but also very susceptible to missed doses - that is, missed doses on this regimen are more likely to result in drug resistance than some other regimens.

When to go on the REgimen?
Infection from someone on HIV meds?