HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

When to go on the REgimen?

My vira load is 120,000 and Tcells is 300..should I start on a Regimen? MY concern is that I have no signs of illness and am afraid of the side effects of the medicatons. Should I wait so I do not build a resistance? Mike

Response from Dr. Little

I think that you are clearly at a point when I would advise that you sit down with your doctor (or an HIV care provider) who can fully discuss the pros and cons of therapy. I generally like for patients to do some reading and have at least a basic understanding of what the major issues are. You should not develop resistance if you take all of your drugs faithfully as prescribed and are started on a potent combination regimen. Given your viral load and CD4 cell count, I personally would urge you to start therapy if you were my patient, but I would never push someone to start therapy if they were not ready to start (hence the reading and education part). I think that at this point, the benefits of therapy outweigh the risks for you.

Acute infection question
Drug Resistance