Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to go on the REgimen?
Jul 19, 2001

My vira load is 120,000 and Tcells is 300..should I start on a Regimen? MY concern is that I have no signs of illness and am afraid of the side effects of the medicatons. Should I wait so I do not build a resistance? Mike

Response from Dr. Little

I think that you are clearly at a point when I would advise that you sit down with your doctor (or an HIV care provider) who can fully discuss the pros and cons of therapy. I generally like for patients to do some reading and have at least a basic understanding of what the major issues are. You should not develop resistance if you take all of your drugs faithfully as prescribed and are started on a potent combination regimen. Given your viral load and CD4 cell count, I personally would urge you to start therapy if you were my patient, but I would never push someone to start therapy if they were not ready to start (hence the reading and education part). I think that at this point, the benefits of therapy outweigh the risks for you.

Previous
Acute infection question
Next
Drug Resistance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.