HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Acute infection question

Hello Doctor Little

My question to you is the following: I had a p24 antigen test and HIV 1/2 antibody test done at 33 days after a low risk exposure. Both were negative and the doctor said this was really a good sign because if I was infected the p24 antigen would be positive and if I was past the seroconversion illness then the p24 antigen may be negative but the elevated antibodies at that point would produce a positive or at least indeterminante antibody test result.

Does this sound right to you? I wanted to ask you because of your extensive research interests in early HIV infection.

Thank you so much for answering my question.

Response from Dr. Little

A negative p24 test at 33 days is pretty good - not perfect though. A negative HIV 1/2 at 33 days is also reassuring, but a bit early to be confident. While I suspect that you are negative based upon these test results, I would certainly advise follow-up testing at 3-6 months with another HIV 1/2 test to be more certain.

How long?
When to go on the REgimen?