Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral load up from undetectable....
Jul 19, 2001

Thanks for answerng this question. I have been on HAART for 11 months, Epivir, Ziagen and Sustiva and became undetectabe within two months of beginning thrapy from a viral load of 60,000. My last results showed an increase from under 50 to 173 copies, however my T-cells improved in the same 3 month span by 54. Should I be worried since this is a more than threefold jump or should I relax and wait for my next results in 3 months? AP

Response from Dr. Little

I would probably wait for your next set of test results in 3 months. I agree that any viral load above 50 in someone who has previously been below 50 is the cause for some concern. However, if you immediately drop drugs in your current regimen because of a fear that you are detecting the first sign of failure, you may work your way through many of our available drugs without really knowing if you have drug resistance. Unfortunately, no drug resitance test will consistently give you a result with a viral load this low. I would however, be particularly attentive to not missing any doses between now and your next viral load measure. With regard to the CD4 cell increase, the CD4 cell counts typically lag about 8-12 weeks after the viral load test results. So, when someone really does fail and the viral load starts to go up, it may take a month or two before you start to see the CD4 cell count take the expected dip.

Previous
Resistance?
Next
How long?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.