HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

salvage patient

When I recently had yet another genotype and phenotype test, my doc is stumped. I'm so multi-drug resistant that there are no viable options left for me. I've been off all meds (because of this) for 5 months now. My VL is around 450,000, CD4 had been less than 20 for months, then jumped to 34. There are growing numbers of people like me. What are we to do? Drug companies don't seem to care about us, since they've got plenty of new (naive) customers. It gets depressing. Thanks

Response from Dr. Little

I can understand why you are depressed. There are indeed many people in the same position that you are in. I would strongly recommend that you seek out a university-based research center which may provide greater access to drugs in development. It is a major focus of research today to find drugs and combinations which will work for people like yourself who have significant drug resistance. I would ask your doctor for advice for trials/access in your area. I would also suggest that some therapy, even if it is not sufficient to lower your viral load to undetectable, may still help reduce your risk of developing HIV-associated complications, given your low CD4 cell count.

can dual drug therapy cause resistance?
aids