Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance question
Jun 13, 2001

I was on a previous regimen containing Sustiva and after a few months my viral load began to climb back up. I then switched to a new regimen containing Nevirapine and have been on this for over two years now, and reached undetectable viral load as well. I had not expected such a good response from Nevirapine as I failed on Sustiva, is this normal as I had expected limited success as I had failed on one of the drugs from the same class.

Response from Dr. Little

You are correct in your surprise to be doing so well after "failing" sustiva. The major question is whether you failed on the basis of drug resistance of something else (ie tolerance, or inadequate duration of therapy). If you really did develop resistance mutations consistent with prior sustiva therapy, I would follow your course a bit more closely on nevirapine since I find your present response quite unusual. But, from the sounds of it, you are truely doing well and this is what makes generalizing about treatment recommendations so difficult - no one rule works for everyone, there are always exceptions. Lucky for you to be the good exception.

Previous
Would I not be in the special cases of AIDS?
Next
Hepatitis B & testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.