HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

treatment

someone really dear to me is hiv positive and is on neupogen cell replacement therapy, she is now haveing pain in her joints, is this normal? Should she be really concerned that somthing else is going wrong? She has been positive for 10 years with no complications, other than fatigue occasionally. Her medications include viracept, and tricyclovir i think.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Neupogen is a drug given to raise the white blood cell count. Bone pain is a relatively common side effect of Neupogen, and I wonder if your friend's pain isn't really coming from her bones and not her joints. The affected bones are typically long bones which have the maorrow in them that produces blood cells. Medications such as ibuprofen can help relieve the pain, and she should discuss this matter with her health care provider.

Is my body just giving up?
Is my virus developing resistance?