Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Regaining sensitivity
Jun 6, 2001

I know that you do not know my case personally but I am hoping that you can generalize. I have had an AIDS diagnosis for around ten years (got diagnosis from Lymphoma, and yes believe it or not I am still alive!). I have basically cycled through all of the meds and currently have a T cell count of 300 and a viral load of 29,000. I am considering going off meds to see if I can regain sensitivity to medications that I am currently resistant to. How long does a person generally have to be off meds to regain sensitivity to medications

Michael?

Response from Dr. Little

The answer is different for different drug resistance mutations. For some of the drugs, 8-12 weeks is probably sufficient. For others, the drug resistance mutations may persist for years. Unfortunately, I think that there is a growing consensus that regaining sensitivity to medications may not be of substantial benefit. That is, the drug resistant variants do not disappear, they simply become less predominant and as such are less readily detected. I believe that the chances are good that even after regaining sensitivity, the same drug resistance mutations that were there originally will re-emerge if the relevant drugs are restarted. It is not clear to me that this strategy offers much promise at present.

Previous
Acquired Resistance
Next
HIV life outside of body

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.