HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

resistance?

Dear Doctor, My VL was 398,000 and cd4 249 when 1st diagnosed. After 3 months on Zerit,Epivir,and Sustiva, VL 200,000 and cd4 500. I am 100 compliant. Is this a bad result? I was told to keep going and should reach undetectable after 6 months. Is this true? Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Little

I would be concerned if your viral load is still 200,000 after three months of d4T/3TC/sustiva and you have been 100% compliant. I would strongly consider drug resistance testing now to try and figure out why your response is not as rapid as it should be. Although I do not like to contradict the advice of your physician since I do not have all of the information that he/she has, with the information you have provided me, I would not be comfortable waiting 6 months to see if you have responded completely. I would do the test now.

Resistance to meds
WHAT IS A NADIR?