Jun 6, 2001
Dear Doctor, My VL was 398,000 and cd4 249 when 1st diagnosed. After 3 months on Zerit,Epivir,and Sustiva, VL 200,000 and cd4 500. I am 100 compliant. Is this a bad result? I was told to keep going and should reach undetectable after 6 months. Is this true? Thank you for your help.
Response from Dr. Little
I would be concerned if your viral load is still 200,000 after three months of d4T/3TC/sustiva and you have been 100% compliant. I would strongly consider drug resistance testing now to try and figure out why your response is not as rapid as it should be. Although I do not like to contradict the advice of your physician since I do not have all of the information that he/she has, with the information you have provided me, I would not be comfortable waiting 6 months to see if you have responded completely. I would do the test now.
Resistance to meds
WHAT IS A NADIR?
- Bloody Pee After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Muscle Ache After Anal Sex Bottom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Urination After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Stinging Pain After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.