The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drugged in Thailand.
Jun 6, 2001

Hello Dr . I hope im not being a pain but i need some professional advice. 4 months ago i was drugged by a ladyboy in Bangkok. I have flashbacks of performing oral sex on this person. I also remeber him taking off a condom before putting his penis in my mouth.

To cut a long story short. I still ahve meningism , swallon glands and dry mouth and upset tummy. I have tested neg for everything except mono pos. The dr then done CMV and EBV which came back neg! Shall i test again at 6 months or do you think my Elisa is pretty spot on. Please help Dr

Response from Dr. Little

Although I cannot assess your risk for HIV based upon this history, it is true that many people who become infected with HIV develop meningits, swollen glands, sore throat, and other viral type symptoms. Unfortunately, the HIV antibody test (the Elisa) is typically negative in this setting. The antibody test takes some time to develop and is not typically present within the first month following an exposure and infection. Your choices are to request a direct measure of HIV (such as a viral load test) or to wait 3-6 months and get another antibody test. Although I do not say this to alarm you - I always advise people who choose to wait the 3-6 months for another antibody test to practice safe sex while awaiting the definitive test at 6 months. You should discuss your concern with your doctor or the public health department and see if they feel that more specialized testing (ie. the viral load test to rule out acute HIV infection) is warrented in your condition.

resistance testing
combivir/sustiva resistance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint