Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chiron HIV-1 RNA Branched DNA version 3.0 test
Jun 6, 2001

Dear Dr. Little,

If someone was possibly infected years ago (5) with HIV-1, will the newer Chiron HIV RNA DNA test reflect a "viral load" for all possible subtypes of HIV-1 (i.e, M, N,and O). I've tested negative with the Elisa HIV-1/2, and the RNA DNA test, but I'm concerned about a possible missing subtype. This is driving me CRAZY! Thank you for your hard work, it really means a lot to "us" who are scared beyond belief. God bless.

Response from Dr. Little

Unless you were exposed to someone who was HIV infected in Africa or the far East, the chances that you were exposed to a non-B subtype of HIV is extremely small. The HIV 1/2 antibody test is very good for most HIV strains in the M family. This is still more than 99% of the isolates identified in North America, except in individuals exposed to someone from areas of the developing world. I would not recommend that you seek out additional testing unless your physician is concerned about some unexplained symptoms or abnormal immunologic measure in your blood tests which would warrent such testing.

Previous
Resistance toward infections during ARS
Next
Are resistant viruses less damaging than wild type?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.