HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Detectable Viral Load, change or not?

Hello Dr. Holodniy On Viracept, Combivir since 03-97, was undetetable till 01-99, vl has been around 1100 to 4000. Until 05-00 vl now around 8000. and last test 06-00 vl 7800. Tcells at 550, 20%. My doctot has given me a choise to change or wait, she feels that I'm doing well with the current regimen, since I have no side effects. She feels I'm not at risk for resistance, and that waiting may help me stay healthy with out side effects. This is my first regimen. Your opinion please, I'm very confused, I like this cocktail it's really easy to take, and no side effects, I'm concerned of resistance to other meds. Can I afford to wait? Thank you in advance.

It is very likely that you have resistance to at least one, and possibly all 3 of the meds you are on. I have seen many people on this regimen do well, but some will fail. I have also seen many resistance reports from people like you in this situation. It is highly likely you have 3TC resistance. Many people will also have AZT and nelfinavir resistance. My recommendation would be to change. You can prove whether you are resistant to these meds by having a resistance test performed. The test may also help you keep the drugs that you are not resistant to.

MH

Worried about cd4 counts
Virus load as a express train... why?