Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Detectable Viral Load, change or not?
Jul 9, 2000

Hello Dr. Holodniy On Viracept, Combivir since 03-97, was undetetable till 01-99, vl has been around 1100 to 4000. Until 05-00 vl now around 8000. and last test 06-00 vl 7800. Tcells at 550, 20%. My doctot has given me a choise to change or wait, she feels that I'm doing well with the current regimen, since I have no side effects. She feels I'm not at risk for resistance, and that waiting may help me stay healthy with out side effects. This is my first regimen. Your opinion please, I'm very confused, I like this cocktail it's really easy to take, and no side effects, I'm concerned of resistance to other meds. Can I afford to wait? Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is very likely that you have resistance to at least one, and possibly all 3 of the meds you are on. I have seen many people on this regimen do well, but some will fail. I have also seen many resistance reports from people like you in this situation. It is highly likely you have 3TC resistance. Many people will also have AZT and nelfinavir resistance. My recommendation would be to change. You can prove whether you are resistant to these meds by having a resistance test performed. The test may also help you keep the drugs that you are not resistant to.

MH

Previous
Worried about cd4 counts
Next
Virus load as a express train... why?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.