HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Resistance if infected by someone on Treatment

First of all, thank you for your forum. You are providing a great service. I recently was exposed to HIV from my partner. He has been on Sustiva and Combivir since April, 2000. Currently, his viral load is 250 and CD4 Count is 273. My question is this, if he is not resistant and transmits the virus to me, will I become resistant since I am not on the meds? In other words, will the virus become resistant once it enters my system since there will no meds in my system? Thanks for your response.

Resistant virus develops in the face of drug pressure. In the absence of drug pressure, wild type (not resistant) virus overgrows any resistant virus present. The resistant virus never really goes away. It just goes into the background and is below the level of detection of the current resistance assays. The same biology holds true when resistant virus is transmitted to another person.

MH

TOTAL IMMUNITY TO AIDS: ANCESTRY GENETICS FACTOR
viral load 700,000