Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long before resistance develope?
May 22, 2001

I started HAART one year ago with a vl=72000 and a CD4=325. Current meds are Sustiva, Zerit & 3TC with great success - vl=undetectable and CD4=1040. My doc told me that even with perfect compliance I can expect resistance to develope after about 5 years on this combo. Is this true? How long is the avrg time for resitance to develope with a successful drug combination and 100 compliance? Thanks for your valuable info.

Response from Dr. Little

Actually, I will differ a bit from your physician. If a potent regimen such as yours is taken with 100% compliance and the viral load remains undetectable (ie less than 50 copies/mL), then the risk for developing resistance is quite low. IF resistance will develop, I do not believe we know the answer as to how long it will take. I tend to remain a bit more favorable and believe that since we have no data on sustiva regimen at 5 years, we will have to wait and see. However, I see no reason to expect that drug resistance will develop if compliance is excellent and the viral load never becomes detectable (ie >50 copies/ml).

Previous
Recently Infected- Prognosis
Next
skipping dosages

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.