Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently Infected- Prognosis
May 16, 2001

I was probably infected in early February ,2001 (symptoms late Feb) WB indeterminate (gp160only) March 1 , positive April 10 (T4 391 23 bRNA 185 000). Started Sustiva+Combivir+ Viracept April 28 (awaiting resistance tests).

My question: Ive read that a set point (relatively stable viral load) is reached after six months and this set point correlates with speed of progression. Is there any correlation between early t4 level and progression? Should I regard this t4 figure as the nadir, assuming therapy is successful? How quickly do t4 levels fall back to nadir when treatment is interrupted?

Thanks for the forum; its been a great source of information and reassurance.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The correlation between viral load level (set point) and clinical progression is quite good. The correlation between clinical progression and CD4 count is not very good, particularly above a CD4 count of 300. I would assume that the current CD4 count is the nadir. In people who are drug naive, reach an undetectable level of viral load, and then stop treatment for a while, the CD4 count can take months, if at all to drift back down to the nadirMH

Previous
Resistance test before starting meds?
Next
How long before resistance develope?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.