HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

HIV1/RNA & HIV2

Dear Doctor Little,

Almost ten years ago, while employed in law enforcement, I had a "bad" HIV exposure from an Africian. I've tested negative on the HIV-1 (ELISA), and most recently the HIV RNA test. My question: will the RNA test reflect a HIV-2 viral load? Also, after these many years would the HIV-1 test reflect HIV-2 AB's. I'm very anxious! Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Little

Most of the commonly used HIV antibody tests in the US now screen for the presence of HIV-1 and HIV-2. To be sure, I would ask your doctor or the lab that ran the test, but after 10 years if you have a negative HIV1/2 test, you should feel comfortable that you are indeed negative.

Viral load and Resistance
Resistance test before starting meds?