HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

worried about drug resistance due to illegal drug use

My best friend is hiv positive and has been on anti-viral drugs since about 4 years ago. His viral load is always undetectable and his t-cell count has jumped from 90 to 400 over the past years. Now he feels that he is fine because he never even gets a cold. His diagnosis came because of a bought with that aids related pneomonia, i forget what it is called. He has been healthy and says he has never missed a dosage of his medicines.(They are viracept and combivir). He has started doing cocaine while partying and i have told him that i don't think he should especially because of his condition. He says i don't know what i am talking about because i am not hiv positive. I care very much for him. Can you tell me if this could effect his health in relation to his resistance to the medicine? thank you

Response from Dr. Little

I understand your concern. As with many illicit drugs, we have limited information on the true effects that these drugs have on antiretroviral drugs. My personal experience has been that the greatest risk of "recreational" drug use is that it becomes easier to miss doses of the necessary antiretroviral drugs. I am confident that no physician would tell you that the use of cocaine and antiretrovirals is not a problem, but we have limited real data to share with you. I think that a real concern may be the lifestyle that may accompany more frequent illicit drug use and the potential for these changes to result in suboptimal antiretroviral drug taking behaviors, which could in turn give rise to drug resistance.

Resistance and reinfection
Viral load and Resistance