HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Cost of resistance testing

Hi Dr. Little:

When you say funding for resistance testing what do you mean? Do you mean that my insurance won't cover it? And that ADAP or medicaid won't. If so, what is the cost? And where can I get it done?

Response from Dr. Little

Resistance testing (both phenotype and genotype) are widely available and covered by ADAP in some states. Some insurance companies may also pay for these tests and some state assistance programs as well. In general, I would contact your physician, your local HIV community-based organization, or your state office of AIDS to find out what the rules are in your state. The companies marketing these tests also provide access on a compassionate basis (ie free) to qualifying individuals. You can pursue this with your physician if you cannot determine that you have financial coverage through one of these other mechanisms.

Dr tells me: Few options avail. result of inconsistent compliance.
Resistance to protease inhibitors