Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr tells me: Few options avail. result of inconsistent compliance.
Apr 29, 2001

Hi,

I have been taking a combination of Viracept, Zerit and Epivir for 2-3 years. My current T-Cell count is 480. viral load 11,000. I have been HIV+ for 14 years that I know of and have been asymptomatic . Previous medications have been AZT, DT4, videx etc. I recently had genotype testing and my Dr indicated that as a result of my difficulty with compliance, the genotype testing indicating a high level of resistance. In addition she advised me that as a result not many avenues are available at this point, but we will explore this further. I live in MA-Western, am fairly well informed and would like to know about any new drugs or treatments that are available to respond to high levels of resistance. I also am concerned as I work full time but drive alot about how a change in treatment therapies may impact on my ability to function effectively at work....I do lots of driving and am concerned about GI problems in relationship to lack of restroom facility access. Your response(s) to my conerns and questions will be helpful....thank you.

Response from Dr. Little

The answer really centers on whether you have a "high level" of resistance to all available drugs or to the drugs that you are taking now. If you have failed most of the available drugs (including the other protease inhibitors), then she is correct and the options become more limited. If you have a high level of resistance to nelfinavir (Viracept) and the other drugs you are on, but have not taken other protease inhibitors or non-nucleosides (ie nevirapine or efavirenz) then you may have many choices. There are quite a few options now and it may be possible to come up with a regimen which is still quite effective. Regarding interference with your lifestyle and job, this may be an issue, but unfortunately at some point, you may have to modify your schedule (perhaps only temporarily) to maximize your chances of the best possible outcome. We do not have many drugs that do not have associated side effects and we as physicans do our best to try and help our patients work through these, but we cannot prevent them entirely.

Previous
Medicaid and resistence testing
Next
Cost of resistance testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.