HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Medicaid and resistence testing

Hello doctor:

I'm on Medicaid. Can I still get a resistence test? I have been positive for 10 years and have gone through a lot of medications. I need to try something new, what do you think?

Response from Dr. Little

It is not possible to tell you what therapy you should try without knowing your entire history. It does sound like you are a good candidate for drug resistance testing to help your doctor make the best possible choice of which therapy to recommend. Both genotype and phenotype tests are widely available - regarding access through Medicaid, I am not cerain whether the rules vary by state, so I will suggest that you ask your doctor, your local community-based organizations for persons living with HIV infection, or contact your state office of AIDS. Some companies marketing the tests also offer them on a compassionate access basis if you find that you do not have access through insurance. Your phsician can help you with this pathway if it becomes necessary. Good luck.

Monotherapy and Resistance
Dr tells me: Few options avail. result of inconsistent compliance.