HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Use of only one resistance test

I read that both genotypic and phenotypic tests are important, as they often provide complementary information. But what if my doctor will only use one? Does this mean that I will be missing out?

Response from Dr. Little

It is true, that both tests offer some unique information that the other does not. In general, I believe that both tests are very good and that the choice should be dictated by which one your provider is more comfortable interpreting (phenotype tests are generally easier to interpret among non-HIV specialists). I do not usually order both tests on a patient, but choose the one that I think will offer the greatest amount of information at the time. Some of this has to do with whether you have failed many drugs or just a few - but again, I don't think that most people need both - both may provide a bit more information, but I expect that the number of times that this additional information truely changes patient management is rare.

tenofivir and or t-20 access
Monotherapy and Resistance