HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

tenofivir and or t-20 access

Where can I get the expanded access to tenofovir? The hospital in Colorado is having huge delays in getting their review board to approve. It is of utmost importance to get a new drug due to brain damage [diagnosed with pml five years ago with frontal lobe damage in both lobes-which caused mental institution detainment and unfortunate pschiatric drug treatment (Haldol thoraxine,rispadel,etc.) which left akathesia and dystonias after 6 months treatment. In the mental institution Greystone ,NJ,was also given the first weak protease inhibitor and was not awakened for night meds. This caused drug resistance to develop quickly I have been on all the approved meds and am waiting for tenofovir or T-20 to change with two new drugs instead of one. T cell count is 22 and last viral load was 400.000 started treatment in late 1995 but mental institution detainment and behaviors interfered with effective treatment please advise A mother

Response from Dr. Little

I would contact the drug companies directly or your local community-based organizations, or the HIV specialists at the University of Colorado in Denver - any of these groups should be able to tell you if and where you might get access to both T-20 and tenofivir as a participant in a research trial or on a compassionate access basis.

Combivir and Sustiva
Use of only one resistance test