HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Truvada Dosage

I'm new to taking the meds and does or should truvada have a milligram dosage on it or is it just a pill, and I've just read that it is not or it has an interaction with reataz or how ever you spell it and he also put me on that I'm very nervouse about this.should I be taking them both together..Need advice and guidance!!!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, you can safely take this regimen.

These are good questions, and you should talk with your doctor about them at your next visit, along with my response below. As importantly, you will need to get over being shy and nervous with your doctor, and be sure to ask questions while you are with him or her to be sure that you understand your treatment. Sometimes questions occur after the visit, as in this case, and so I suggest you write them down and take them with you to each visit.

Truvada is a co-formulated pill containing two drugs, tenofovir (300mg) and emtricitabine (200mg). These two drugs are in different milligram strengths, which is why there is no single milligram dosage given for the entire Truvada pill.

There is an important interaction between tenofovir (TDF) and atazanavir (ATV) that prohibits the use of TDF with ATV when ATV is used unboosted, i.e. without ritonavir. However, when ATV is boosted with ritonavir, sufficient levels are achieved that the impact of the interaction with TDF is negligable. This regimen has been well studied in clinical trials, and its performance is excellent, leading the current DHHS Guidelines in the US to include this regimen in the list of preferred initial ART regimens.

Drugs Resistance
Many mutations listed on my Genome/Phemone Test