HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Slutty husband infected me

Hi Dr. Little:

I just found I was infected with HIV by my husband who it seems has been having a gay life outside our marriage. I was reading all the stuff on this site and wondered if I should get tested for resistance since he slept around so much?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Little

I believe that resistance testing (either phenotype or genotype) is a good idea in recently infected individuals (that is, infected for less than 1 year). If you were infected more than one year ago, we do not really know the answer. My general practice for people infected for more that one year is to test if funding is not an issue. While a negative test (that is, no evidence of resistance) may not exclude the possiblity of resistance being present, a positive test (that is, resistance detected) can abe quite useful in guiding therapy. If funding is an issue, then you should be reassured that there are no formal guidelines to do resistance testing before starting therapy, though I believe that this is the direction the field is moving. The choice of which test has a lot to do with which one your doctor is more comfortable interpreting.

second time
The Roche T20 Trial