Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Slutty husband infected me
Apr 23, 2001

Hi Dr. Little:

I just found I was infected with HIV by my husband who it seems has been having a gay life outside our marriage. I was reading all the stuff on this site and wondered if I should get tested for resistance since he slept around so much?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Little

I believe that resistance testing (either phenotype or genotype) is a good idea in recently infected individuals (that is, infected for less than 1 year). If you were infected more than one year ago, we do not really know the answer. My general practice for people infected for more that one year is to test if funding is not an issue. While a negative test (that is, no evidence of resistance) may not exclude the possiblity of resistance being present, a positive test (that is, resistance detected) can abe quite useful in guiding therapy. If funding is an issue, then you should be reassured that there are no formal guidelines to do resistance testing before starting therapy, though I believe that this is the direction the field is moving. The choice of which test has a lot to do with which one your doctor is more comfortable interpreting.

Previous
second time
Next
The Roche T20 Trial

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.